Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Real Vampires Don't Sparkle

With the advent of Twilight and the Doom known as Screaming Fangirls, I had come to believe that the vampire was dead (all puns intended). My real basis for vampires was that wonderful book Dracula, where the vampire was more than just seductive, but was a monster you could really fear. The anime/manga Hellsing was along the same lines. In Jim Butcher's amazing Harry Dresden series, vampires carry on the monster side of the genre. So for me, Twilight was something that violated everything about vampires. The fact that so many seem to not only go along with it, but enjoy it, told me that vampires were all but finished as a respectable monster and for use as main protagonists in stories.

Then, I saw Daybreakers. It was nothing like expected. From the previews, I figured it would be an alright move, entertaining, and a good way to spend a couple of hours. From the first scene, though, I knew this movie was different and believe me, it was. Vampires didn't sparkle, they blew up like grenades. Sunlight killed them. They weren't angst ridden immortals bent on seducing beautiful young women. They were much like everyday people, just hungry for blood and more than willing to kill for it. It didn't go places I thought it would, instead, it went where I didn't expect too. I'm not going to say where at this time, because I don't want to spoil anything for people, but trust me this movie is worth your time and money.

Daybreakers made vampires, at least for a few hours, something I could respect again. While it may never make as much as Twilight, or be as popular, I think it is better regardless. So live on, Fanged Friends, and keep your Vampire hand strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment