Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hold the Heathen Hammer High!

Upon this day, I did do verbal battle with a pair of Evangelical Christians. Mostly this involved hurling questions that they refused to answer while they spouted bible verses. At my campus, we have an outdoor amphitheater and they were arrayed at the base and preaching up at the students, most of whom wanted to go away, since we had nice weather. (So nice in fact that I got sunburned a bit)

Against the first, all I did was ask questions as I sat with other students, though out of it I did get what were for me two moments of awesome. When I first got there, the gentleman was preaching how wives should be subservient to their husbands (you can imagine how well that was going over, though one guy was trying to make sure it would justify any misogynistic behavior of his should he sign up.) The first was when the guy I'll call Camo asked how the world was created. I responded by giving a very basic run of the Norse creation story.

But then I got my Crowning Moment of Awesome.

As I left for class, I paused upon the flat ground and turned to the audience and asked "If our nation was founded on equality, why should we follow a religion that teaches nothing but hierarchies, prejudice, and persecution?"

For this, I received much applause.

The second time round wasn't as epic, though I pretty much stood next to a new guy and shot back at him and spoke to the audience. Not much in the way of response, but a young lady made some signs in counterpoint to the ones the Evangelicals were holding and this led me and a friend to rally up a group that will be striking back in protest when the Evangelicals reappear next Tuesday. I hope Tyr shall look down upon us on his day and grant Heathens, Secularists, Atheists, and others victory agianst the followers of the Christ god.

The only question I have is: What am I going to put on my sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment